Recipe: Egg And Vegetable Bake!!
With our busy lives these days, most of us are rushed at most meal times – particularly breakfast, especially when we sleep in and hit the snooze button one too many times!
With breakfast being the most important meal of the day (it really is!) too many people miss out on the benefits that eating breakfast offers:
- gets your metabolism firing for the day ahead
- provides your body with energy to get through the morning
- provides your brain with fuel to get through the important tasks at work
- helps to prevent drops in sugar levels later in the afternoon – which leads to sugar cravings (and usually indulgences!)
- if you’re a morning exerciser, helps to replace muscle glycogen stores and provides protein for muscle development
And the list goes on!
I understand the busy-ness of mornings, so I have shared a recipe that I love which helps to make those mornings a little more manageable – not to mention HEALTHY!
It is best to sit down and eat your meal at the table if you can, but if you should have been at work 5 minutes ago and you still havn’t left the house, you could make this meal travel-friendly by cutting the egg bake into strips and rolling it into a light wrap.
Set aside a little time on a Sunday afternoon and prepare this delicious egg and vegetable bake – providing you with quality protein, healthy carbs and lots of veges!! It is fridge and freezer friendly, so you can make a large batch and portion it up for when you need them.
Enough about how good it is, lets get to the recipe itself!
Egg And Vegetable Bake (makes 6 serves)
- 6-8 eggs (depending on the size of your baking tray)
- 1/2 cup low fat ricotta or cottage cheese (either works)
- parmesan cheese (to grate on top)
- 1/2 cup low fat milk
- Optional: 120g lean meat – depends on what you like – I like to use lean ham or turkey, could also use chicken.
- VEGETABLES! Think colourful for optimum nutrients and visual appeal. I used:
- 1 whole tomato, diced
- 6 florets diced broccoli – including the stem
- 2 large florets diced cauliflower
- 1/2 bag of baby spinach, no need to chop
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1/2 cup frozen peas & corn mix
- 1/2 cup frozen green beans
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and sliced
- optional: chia seeds – for an extra protein and antioxidant boost!
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees fan-forced
- Grease baking tray with spray oil or marg/butter
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk eggs, ricotta (or cottage) cheese and milk together.
- Add diced meat and all of your vegetables and mix until all ingredients are coated in the egg mixture.
- Pour mixture into baking tray
- Top with the sliced sweet potato, and grate a sprinkle of parmesan cheese over the top
- Bake in the oven for approximately 45-60 minutes – this really depends on the depth of your baking tray – mine was about 8cm deep and filled to the top so it required around 45 mins. If using a shallower tray (around 4cm) it would only need 30mins in oven.
- When cooked, allow to cool. Portion up into 6 slices – I wrapped in cling wrap and froze 4 portions and popped the other 2 in the fridge for the next couple of days. Simply re-heat in microwave for a couple minutes – they come out as good as new!
Hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I did. Don’t be afraid to bulk up your recipes with lots of veges – you’ll be surprised how tasty and filling they are