Yes, you read correctly… Beer BREAD?!?! If you’re stuck at home waiting for your bananas to overripen, quit waiting around! Head on down to your local supermarket, find the chickpea flour (which is usually still on the shelves) and pick yourself up a can or two of your favourite beer. This recipe adapted from Power Hungry is simple, effective and higher in fibre & protein when compared to a regular quick-bread.
If the term “chickpea flour” gives you the heebie-jeebies, have no fear! Chickpea flour is also known as Besan flour and is available in the baking aisle of most major supermarkets. If you are struggling to find it, your local health food store will almost certainly be able to sort you out.
- 2 and 2/3 cups (320 g) chickpea flour
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) baking powder
- 1x 12-ounce (350mL) bottle or can beer
- Optional: 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Preheat oven to 190C.
- Spray a 9×5-inch (22.5×12.5 cm) loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, which the chickpea flour, baking powder and (optional/adjustable) salt.
- Slowly (so that it does not foam too much) pour in the beer.
- Gently whisk or stir until just blended. Immediately pour batter into prepared baking pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 42 to 45 minutes until golden brown, the top has cracks, and a skewer inserted near the centre of the loaf comes out clean.
- Transfer pan to a cooling rack and cool bread for 15 minutes before removing from pan.
Looking for more healthy recipes for your family? Head over to the recipes tab on our blog page! Or, for tailored assistance managing your diet, get in contact with one of our Accredited Practising Dietitians right away!