Our Chicken & Barley Soup recipe modified from Everyday Dishes is a great, hearty go-to for those colder winter months, especially for those who are suffering from Diabetes or watching their Cardiovascular health. Why? Well, not only is pearl barley a true wholegrain that is full of antioxidants and high in fibre, but they are a slow-releasing carbohydrate (low GI) and will, therefore, keep you fuller for longer! PLUS (yes, it gets better), the use of skinless chicken and the high percentage of vegetables means that it is low in saturated fat content!
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- olive oil
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 2 – 3 large carrots, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 Tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp flour
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp ground sage
- 2 cups pearl barley
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat 2 Tbsp olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Toss in onions, carrots and celery; sauté vegetables until softened, about 4 minutes.
- Add minced garlic and sauté 1 minute. Stir in flour.
- Pour in chicken broth, bouillon and 3 cups water.
- Add barley and chicken breasts then bring the liquid to boil and reduce heat. Simmer 20 minutes.
- Remove chicken breasts carefully with tongs, shred into bite-size pieces and return to pot.
- Stir in parsley, thyme, sage, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer an additional 15-20 minutes, or until barley is tender.
Looking for more healthy recipes for your family? Head over to the recipes tab on our blog page! Or, for tailored assistance managing your diet, get in contact with one of our Accredited Practising Dietitians right away!