Heads up, it’s National Diabetes Week! In support of this cause, we decided that this week we are going to share two Diabetes-friendly recipes. The first of which is this Spiced Chicken, Tomato & Chickpea Soup modified from a recipe by Type 1 Kitchen to be ideal for someone who is suffering Type 1 Diabetes and is on Insulin. This recipe has a total of 30g carbohydrates (2 units of 15g) and is predominantly low GI/complex carbohydrates that take longer to turn into sugar in the bloodstream.
What are you waiting for? Time to get baking!
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1/8-1/4 tsp chilli flakes
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 400g tin of chopped tomato
- 400g tin of chickpeas, drained
- 500ml vegetable stock
- 1 medium sweet potato (400g)
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- The meat from 2 roasted chicken thighs – either shop bought or roasted at home, shredded
- Fresh coriander to garnish (optional)
- Heat the oil in a saucepan which has a lid.
- Add the onions, sweet potato & zucchini, stir well, cover and sweat for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the spices and cook uncovered for 2 minutes or until the onions are soft and translucent.
- Add the tomatoes, chickpeas, stock. Bring to the boil then simmer for 8 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and use a stick blender to blend until most of the soup is smooth; I like to keep some texture.
- Stir in the chicken, cook for 3 more minutes.
- Serve and garnish with fresh coriander.
Be sure to stay tuned for our next Diabetes-friendly recipe later this week! For the second recipe, we will be targeting Type 2 Diabetes.
Looking for more condition-specific recipes for your family? Head over to the recipes tab on our blog page! Or, for tailored assistance managing your diet, get in contact with one of our Accredited Practising Dietitians right away!