Now that the weather is cooler it’s time to pull out your crockpot and start making those winter dishes. Soup is a go-to in any dietitian’s toolbox for a nutritious and healthy meal. This ‘Hearty Minestrone Soup’ is a tasty way to obtain almost 4 servings of vegetables in one serve!
This soup is a great source of iron and vitamin C due to the arrangement of veggies it contains. Vitamin C helps the absorption of iron so having them within the same meal is a great way to ensure you are obtaining all the iron that you need.
It’s also great if you have a busy week ahead as it can be served for dinner multiple times in a row.
TIP: If you have a big family just double the recipe and freeze the remainder for the following week!
Hearty Minestrone Soup
Prep: Approx. 40 minutes
- 3 tbsps extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large potatoes, cut into chunks
- 1 leek, finely sliced
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 zucchinis, thinly sliced
- 750ml chicken stock
- 400g can cannellini beans, drained
- 400g can red kidney beans, drained
- 1-2 lemons, juiced
- Heat half the oil in a large crockpot over medium heat.
- Add potato, leek, onion and garlic and cook for ~10 minutes while stirring.
- Add zucchini and remaining oil. Cook for a further 5 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Add stock and cook for ~5 minutes or until the potato begins to soften.
- Add cannellini and kidney beans.
- Add lemon juice to taste and cook for a further 2-3 minutes or until heated through.
- Spoon into bowls and enjoy with optional parmesan as a topping!
Hearty Minestrone Soup Nutrition Stats
|Nutrient||Per Serve||Per 100g|
Looking for more recipes? For tailored advice recommended just for you, get in contact with one of our dietitians today.