This week, our team of APD’s have chosen an awesome recipe by Healthy GF Family to recommend to anyone out there on a vegan, vegetarian or gluten-free diet. This Hearty Veggie Bean Soup is packed full of vegetables and is a great way to sneak more legumes into your weekly meal plan.
Not only that, but this recipe is also incredibly accessible and cheap to make! What’s not to love? Try it out today!
Hearty Veggie Bean Soup
Serves: 6-8 servings
- 2 tablespoon olive oil or neutral oil of choice
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 cups of water
- 2 cans (800g) of crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (400g) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (400g) cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 2 gluten-free vegetable bouillon cubes
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 300g frozen spinach or kale
- Cooked brown rice or other grain
- Parmesan cheese, optional but recommended if not dairy-free
- Heat the oil and sauté the carrots, celery and onion and garlic powder
- Cook 10-12 mins or until tender. The longer the better to bring out the flavour.
- Add the water, tomatoes, cannellini beans, black beans, basil, bouillon cubes (and salt if using low sodium bouillon) and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 1 hour or longer.
- Add the frozen spinach (or kale) when ready to eat.
- Cook 10 minutes.
- Serve as is, or add a serving of brown rice to each bowl before topping with soup.
- Top with grated Parmesan.
- Extra soup freezes well.