Turmeric! If you’ve made it to 2020 and haven’t been preached the benefits of Turmeric, you’re either in luck or living under a rock because this household spice has made it’s way into health reports all across the globe and has been a diet-trend of its own for many years now. However, what does an Accredited Practising Dietitian have to say about it?
Well, of course, Turmeric DOES have a lot of anti-inflammatory properties, however, loading yourself up on turmeric every day is not going to show the same return on investment that a good, balanced diet would. Anddddd that’s where we come in.
If you’re a turmeric lover, looking for a way to boost that milky beverage to a fully-realised, balanced breakfast that is lower in added sugar (for the waistline) and high in selenium (for thyroid function), read on! Try out our dietitian-approved Homemade Granola, modified from TUULIA’s Turmeric Granola recipe.
- 1 2/3 cups rolled oats
- 2/3 cups brazil nuts, chopped
- 1 cup almonds, chopped
- 1/2 cup craisins (dried cranberries)
- 5 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1-2 tsp turmeric powder (depending on how much you like the taste of it)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- a pinch of ground cardamom
- Preheat the oven to 200 C degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with baking paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, chopped nuts and craisins.
- Melt the coconut oil in a small saucepan on low heat.
- Pour the melted coconut oil into a blender and add the bananas, maple syrup, turmeric, vanilla and cardamom and blend until smooth.
- Pour the banana mixture over to the dry ingredients and mix well. The mixture should be a bit sticky.
- Spread the granola mixture in an even layer to the baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until it gets a beautiful golden colour.
- Stir the mixture halfway to get an even colour.
- Allow the granola to cool completely before serving, as it will get crispy after cooling.
- Serve with healthy toppings of your choice! For example with plant yogurt and berries.
NOTE: Store the granola in an airtight glass jar at room temperature for up to one month.
Looking for more healthy recipes for your family? Head over to the recipes tab on our blog page! Or, for tailored assistance managing your diet, get in contact with one of our Accredited Practising Dietitians right away!