As if you NEED a reason to make this Roasted Capsicum Hummus (modified from a recipe by Kind Earth), but, we’ll give you some anyway. So, not only is tahini a FANTASTIC source of calcium for those on a plant-based diet, but this recipe would also great the school lunch box allergen ‘tick of approval’ as it is nut-free and dairy-free. That’s not all, however! If you’re on a Mediterranean diet or have a history of heart-related issues or inflammatory conditions, you cannot go past this for a snack or spread. Need we say more?
- 2 sweet red capsicum, large
- 1 tin (240g drained or 1½ cups) tinned chickpeas
- 2 cloves of garlic, large
- 2 heaped tablespoons of unhulled tahini
- 2 lemons
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon of sea salt
- Pre-heat oven to 220°C
- Remove stalks and seeds from the capsicum and slice in half or quarters.
- Roast the capsicum and garlic in a hot oven.
- Roast garlic for up to 10 minutes and the capsicum for about 15-20 minutes (or until it is easy to pierce).
- Leave garlic to cool before peeling the skin off.
- Gently chop off the top of garlic; then squeeze out the cloves and place in a food processor.
- Rinse and drain chickpeas.
- Juice lemon and discard the skin.
- Add all ingredients to a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Chill in the fridge before serving.
Looking for more healthy recipes for your family? Head over to the recipes tab on our blog page! Or, for tailored assistance managing your diet, get in contact with one of our Accredited Practising Dietitians right away!