Talk about eating the rainbow! This meal (modified from The Mediterranean Dish) is exactly that. The use of colourful veggies, chickpeas, spices and extra virgin olive oil is in line with the Mediterranean Diet, which scored #1 Overall Diet of 2020 as dubbed by the U.S. News & World Report as it can assist with a number of chronic conditions (and weight loss)! If you are suffering Diabetes, Cardiovascular Disease, Metabolic Syndrome, Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease and any other chronic inflammatory condition such as Arthritis, you cannot go past a diet like this one.
As well as that, the addition of prawns provides that essential dose of iodine that promotes healthy thyroid function. Plus, it will only take you 20 minutes to prepare. It’s a win, win situation, so let’s go!
- 1 ½ tbsp dry oregano
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp sweet paprika
- 500g large prawns, peeled, and deveined
- Extra virgin olive oil
- ½ medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced and divided
- 1 red capsicum, cored and sliced into sticks
- 1 to 2 zucchini, halved lengthwise, sliced into ½ moons
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas (from canned chickpeas), drained
- 1 ½ cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- Salt and pepper
- 1 large lemon, juice of
- Handful fresh basil leaves, torn or sliced
- In a small bowl, combine the spices.
- Pat prawns dry and season with salt and 1 ½ tsp of the spice mixture. Set aside briefly or refrigerate till later. Reserve the remaining spice mixture for the vegetables.
- In a large cast-iron skillet, heat 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onions and ½ the amount of garlic and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, tossing regularly till fragrant (do not allow the garlic to burn.)
- Add zucchini, red capsicum, and chickpeas.
- Season with salt and pepper and the remaining spice mixture. Toss to combine.
- If needed, raise the heat just a bit and cook the veggies until tender, tossing regularly (about 5 to 7 minutes.)
- Transfer the veggies to a large plate for now.
- Return the skillet to the heat and add a little bit of extra virgin olive oil.
- Add the seasoned prawns and remaining garlic.
- Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally until prawns are totally pink (about 4 to 5 minutes).
- Add the cooked vegetables back to the skillet with the prawns.
- Add cherry tomatoes and lemon juice.
- Give everything a good toss.
- Finish with the fresh basil.
Looking for more dietitian-approved recipes for your family? Head over to the recipes tab on our blog page! Or, for tailored assistance managing your diet, get in contact with one of our Accredited Practising Dietitians right away!