This Veggie-Loaded Pad Thai Salad (modified from Eating Bird Food) makes a great alternative to Thai takeaway! It is lower in overall kJ and fat content than your usual takeout meal and with the use of chickpeas as a protein source, is vegan too! It is suitable for someone after a delicious and filling salad, someone looking to reduce the intake of animal products or someone who is simply wanting a healthier version of their favourite takeaway meal. Try it out now!
Veggie-Loaded Pad Thai Salad
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 15 minutes
- 1/2 small head of green cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch of kale, thinly sliced
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 1 cup thinly sliced red capsicum
- 2 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1–2 Tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
- 1 (400g) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
Light Pad Thai Dressing:
- 1/4 cup natural peanut butter
- juice of 2 limes (about 4 Tablespoons)
- 2 Tablespoons Bragg’s Liquid Aminos (or low-sodium tamari)
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 1 Tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/2 Tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon sriracha (or more depending on your taste)
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- Combine all dressing ingredients in a glass jar.
- Stir or shake until combined and smooth.
- Make sure all your veggies are chopped into bite-size pieces and toss in a large bowl to combine.
- Add chickpeas and top with dressing.
- Mix until all ingredients are well coated, serve and enjoy!
Looking for more dietitian-approved recipes for your family? Head over to the recipes tab on our blog page! Or, for tailored assistance managing your diet, get in contact with one of our Accredited Practising Dietitians right away!