If you live in the 21st century, you would have come across the term “Bliss Balls” that usually comes accompanied with claims of health benefits, whole grains and raw foods… Right? But, what is less commonly known is that many of these tasty treats are full of sugar and not often as good to eat on a regular basis as they may sound. Thanks to our team of incredible Accredited Practising Dietitians, we’ve brought to you our version of Happy Healthy Mama’s recipe for Vegan Peanut Butter & Quinoa Balls!
Quinoa is a true whole grain – it is a great source of fibre as well as being a complete protein, containing all of the best amino acids for a vegan or vegetarian diet. Likewise, natural peanut butter is a fantastic source of monounsaturated fats (the “good” kind!). This is lower in sugar and contains less dried fruit than most bliss ball recipes, and is a great controlled snack for those working from home!
Vegan Peanut Butter & Quinoa Balls
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Serves: 10 balls
- 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed well
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup natural peanut butter
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon blackstrap molasses
- pinch of sea salt
- In a small saucepan, combine the quinoa and water.
- Bring it to a boil, stir once, and cover the pot.
- Reduce the heat a bit and allow to simmer until all the water is absorbed (about 10-15 minutes).
- Once the quinoa is cooked, allow it to cool a bit.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and stir well.
- Form the mixture into 1″ balls and place them onto a tray or plate.
- Place them in the freezer for about 30 minutes to firm.
- Keep stored in the refrigerator. Enjoy!
Looking for more healthy recipes for your family? Head over to the recipes tab on our blog page! Or, for assistance managing your diet, get in contact with one of our Accredited Practising Dietitians right away!